For a long time, I have wondered how to get those beachy, tousled waves that I always see on other fashion bloggers and models. I knew how to use a curling iron, but for some reason I couldn’t recreate the look. I have naturally curly hair, so I figured this must be the problem. That was, before I went to a salon in Hermosa Beach and they styled my hair in loose, beachy waves. I was determined to do this on my own.
The key to getting these beachy waves is to straighten your hair first (if you have curly hair) and leave the ends out of the curling iron. I use the 1″ barrel in the T3 Whirl Trio to get my go to beachy waves. Read more for the step by step process.
1. Straighten and part your hair in the center. Tie one side off with an elastic band to make sure it does not get in the way of the side you are curling.
2. Pull out 1″ strands of your hair to wrap around the curling wand. Hold the wand with your opposite hand to curl downward. See the image above. This might differ from the traditional curling iron method, but the wands allow you to have more control over how much hair you are leaving out of the wand. They also allow for a more natural look without creases from the clip on a curling iron.
3. Wrap your hair around the wand, leaving about an inch out of the wand. This allows the curl to be in the middle of your strand, making it look more beachy and less ringlet. Repeat on the whole first side of the head.
4. Spray the first side to set in the curl, then repeat steps 1-3 on the next side.
5. Once curled and sprayed, lightly run your fingers through your hair and flip your head upside down. This will give the curls a set in, tousled look.
Hope this helps you all achieve the look you are going for! I love my T3 tools that are interchangeable depending on if you want beachy waves, a loose Hollywood glamour curl, or some bouncy ringlets!
Let me know if you have any questions in the comments below.